The Culinary Arts program provides classroom and laboratory instruction and experience to students desiring a career as a professional chef. Students pursuing the Culinary Arts AAS Program must meet all college entrance requirements. First semester courses are offered during the fall semester only and students must enroll in all courses concurrently. Second semester courses are offered during the spring semester only and students must enroll in all courses concurrently. In addition to tuition, there are additional fees that apply.
Recipients of the Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts will be able to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and applied skills to practice effectively as a professional chef in an advanced position in the food service industry;
- Comprehension of fundamentals of mathematics as related to the Culinary Arts profession;
- Application of food preparation principles, including the fundamentals of food preparation, sanitation, menu planning, and dining room service;
- Ability to develop an in-depth personal nutrient analysis;
- Knowledge of the hospitality industry;
- Knowledge of advanced supervisory management skills;
- Knowledge and applied skills to practice effectively as a kitchen manager;
- Comprehension of the fundamentals of profit and loss as related to the restaurant industry;
- Comprehension of information by reading college-level material across the curriculum;
- Ability to communicate effectively in written English across the curriculum;
- Proficiency in oral communication skills across the curriculum;
- Ability to comprehend and perform course-specific mathematical problems;
- Development of critical thinking skills across the curriculum;
- Ability to use library resources to research topics across the curriculum; and
- Ability to utilize and apply current computer technology across the curriculum.
Required Courses for Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts:
Second Semester: 16 Hours
Second Semester: 15 Hours
Total Credit Hours required for the Associate of Applied Science in Culinary Arts: 60
Humanities Electives: Credit Hours: 3* COMM 170 , ENGL 201 , ENGL 202 , ENGL 250 , ENGL 251 , ENGL 252 , ENGL 255 , ENGL 256 , ENGL 257 , FREN 101 , FREN 102 , FREN 201 , HIST 101 , HIST 102 , HIST 103 , HIST 104 , HIST 201 , HIST 202 , HIST 203 , HMAN 201 , HMAN 202 , HMAN 203 , RLGN 201 , RLGN 202 , RLGN 203 , SPAN 101 , SPAN 102 , or SPAN 201 .
Behavioral/Social Science Electives: Credit Hours: 3** ANTH 201 , ANTH 202 , BADM 201 , BADM 202 , CJUS 101 , GPHY 101 , POSC 201 , POSC 202 , PSYC 201 , PSYC 205 , PSYC 206 , PSYC 210 , PSYC 220 , PSYC 225 , PSYC 290 , SLGY 201 , SLGY 202 , SLGY 203 , SLGY 204 , SLGY 207 , or SLGY 290 .
Natural Science: Credit Hours: 3*** BLGY 101 , BLGY 102 , BLGY 105 , BLGY 106 , BLGY 107 , BLGY 120 , BLGY 202 , BLGY 203 , BLGY 206 , BLGY 230 , BLGY 231 , BLGY 244 , CHEM 101 , CHEM 102 , CHEM 107 , CHEM 250 , PHSC 105 , PHSC 106 , PHSC 107 , PHSC 110 , PHSC 111 , PHYS 201 , PHYS 202 , PHYS 211 , PHYS 212 , SCI 101 , or SCI 102 .